Once again, Rowland Chairman Geoff Rodgers is gearing up to participate in the Vinnies CEO Sleepout. On Thursday 18 June 2015, he will join more than 1,000 business, government, and community leaders throughout Australia to experience first-hand what it is like to be homeless while raising much-needed awareness and funds for this important social issue.
Why is addressing the issue of homelessness so important?
- More than 105,000 Australians are homeless — twice the capacity of Suncorp Stadium, which is the venue for this year’s Vinnies CEO Sleepout in Queensland.
- Queensland has the third-highest homeless population in Australia.
- 19,838 Queenslanders are homeless.
- 27 per cent are children under 18 years old.
- 57 per cent are under the age of 35.
- One in eight Queenslanders live below the poverty line.
The Vinnies CEO Sleepout is the premiere opportunity for business, government, and community leaders to show support for those less fortunate. Armed with nothing more than a sleeping bag, pillow, sheet of cardboard, and cup of soup, these leaders are put ‘in the shoes’ of Australia’s homeless population for one night. All funds go towards helping to eradicate homelessness, and meeting the needs of the homeless or those who are at risk of homelessness.
The Vinnies CEO Sleepout is an important event in Rowland’s calendar. Geoff has proudly participated since 2011, raising in excess of $150,000. At the 2014 event, he was recognised as Queensland’s top fundraiser. Rowland is also a Queensland partner, providing professional assistance with communication, promotion, and participant recruitment.
This year, the Vinnies CEO Sleepout will take place on Thursday 18 June 2014 at Suncorp Stadium.
If you would like to join Geoff for the sleepout or make a donation, please visit www.ceosleepout.org.au.